WriteType is a free (and open source) program that helps students experience success in writing. It is designed especially for schools to transform technology from a barrier into an opportunity for success. Some major features include:
- Word Completion — As students type, word suggestions appear on the right-hand side of the screen to complete the word being typed. Clicking on the desired word will finish the word. WriteType will also learn a student’s habits over time and make more relevant suggestions based on what has already been written.
- Reading Back the Document — WriteType will read back written text, allowing students to catch errors they may not have caught reading it back themselves. It will also, optionally, read back words as they are typed.
- Highlighting — Sections of the document can be quickly highlighted while typing or while listening to the document being read back. This lets students quickly flag areas they need to go back and review.
- Grammar checking — WriteType will underline simple grammar and formatting mistakes in the document, and offer to make the necessary revision.
- Auto-correction — Common errors, such as typing isnt instead of isn’t, will be corrected automatically without the need for intervention.
- Multi-lingual — WriteType is available in English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Bulgarian, and Basque.